Friday, November 22, 2013

Service: Recycling

I have been involved in the Service of Recycling for about 4 months, lasting about 1 hour 15 minutes every week.

This was a different service which I had opted for since the previous one which I was involved in, Cleft Lip and Palate, is no longer function and I figured that by choosing this, I would be able to give back a little to the environment.

Prior to enrolling into this Service, my knowledge regarding the amount of waste that could be recycled in OSC was extremely limited; even though I had seen previous members from the Recycling group come by a couple of times, I assumed that there wasn't much waste that could be recycled in general.

However, after joining Recycling, that assumption was proven wrong on the very first day after entering the recycling room and seeing the amount of materials from the school itself that was going to be recycled.

I was able to increase my awareness about the issue of recycling by attending this service and seeing the vast amount of materials that could be recycled and those that cannot be recycled and have to be put into the trash.

During this course, I was able to go to different areas of the school such as the Primary section and gather items for recycling which ranges from things such as paper to cardboard boxes.

I was able to develop new skills since I know what items to recycle, what not to, and those that could be re-used. I've also learnt how much money is received for recycling paper and cardboard and the fact that recycling cardboard earns more than recycling paper.

Gathering recyclable items all over the school isn't a 1 man job, hence I worked collaboratively with other members who were present in the Recycling service to go around collecting items. Before going to gather them however, we planned and initiated activities such as where each group would go, etc.


(The room where we gather for our meeting and talking about where each group goes. Picture taken by me)


(Everyone getting together outside the recycling center to distribute items.)

Recycling is a matter of global importance, hence by contributing to this, I am getting myself involved in an issue which has global importance seeing as recycling is starting to become a vital component to help keep the amount of waste thrown around in-check.

I'm hoping to investigate the amount of waste recycled in Sri Lanka and try to compare it with what we're doing to help see the impact that we are making.

At the end of each recycling secession, we visit a small local recycling shop close to the school where we get paid for the amount of items that we recycle.


(A picture of the Recycling center which we go to)

Below is a group photo of our recycling group, although some may be missing that day due to not being present:

No comments:

Post a Comment